The Ocean Friendly Restaurant (OFR) program helps restaurants minimize their impact on the ocean by adopting practices that reduce single-use plastic waste, maximize energy efficiency and conserve water.
restaurants registered across U.S. and Canada
straws used every day in the U.S.
plastic pieces in the ocean
2050 the year
more plastic than fish in the ocean
Criteria to be an Ocean Friendly Restaurant
- Plastic Straws are provided only upon request.
- No Polystyrene (AKA STYROFOAM).
- Proper recycling practices are followed to the extent available in the community.
- Only reusable tableware is used for on site dining. Utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for take-outs or to-go orders.
Optional Criteria – meet a minimum of two:
- No beverages are sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered to customers with reusable cup, mug, bag etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and energy Star appliances.
Make your restaurant Ocean Friendly!
Or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org